The Christmas shopping season officially begins this week, with deals popping up in stores on both sides of the border. Canadians are now fully in sync with the American ‘Black Friday’ shopping phenomenon (thankfully, without the associated stampedes!). CTV recently reported that about one in five Canadian retailers are planning dedicated ‘Black Friday’ sales this year, and a recent survey found that 61 per cent of Canadian shoppers are planning to shop on that day, too.
If the thought of overcrowded stores and parking lots fills you with dread more than excitement, we’ve got your back. Below are over a dozen food-related gift ideas you can buy without ever leaving your home. Just get them ordered sooner rather than later, so they arrive in time.
1) Blunt Roll aprons are handmade to order in Toronto. The ‘Shucker’ apron has a top pocket, midriff protection to keep you dry, and a holster to keep your shucker handy. With one of these bespoke beauties, oysters will never be the same.
2) The Carry On Cocktail Kit will sail through security, and once you’re in the air all you have to do is order a mini-bottle of bourbon.
3) Membership in this Canadian-based Cheese of the Month club includes three cheeses every month, enough to do a tasting for approximately 3-5 people.
4) The Chocolate Yule Log from Calgary’s Bernard Callebaut is available in pure milk or semi-sweet chocolate shells, filled with a selection of individual chocolates.
5) Dunc’s Mill Maple Rum brings Vermont’s maple syrup tradition to new heights, with notes of oak, honey and stone fruit. (We’d love to see a maritime Canada version of this, but for now, we’re sticking with Vermont.)
6) No one does mixed nuts better than Persians. Thankfully you won’t need to book a flight to Tehran, as Tavazo offers online ordering.
7) These Ninja Men cookie cutters come in classic attack poses – as their tagline says, they’re cut out for action. Be sure to keep them away from your more corpulent, traditional gingerbread men!
8) Made from a solid piece of maple, this beautiful asymmetrical spoon adds an artistic touch to any meal.
9) Maple syrup isn’t just for pancakes and waffles anymore. PURE infuses maple syrup with lemongrass, chipotle, ginger and lavender, making it the perfect condiment for any meal. It’s Nova Scotian, to boot!
10) This Canadian-made plastic rain barrel looks like an earthenware urn, provides a perfect supply of water for the garden, and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
11) Show your love for your favourite spicy sauce with this festive red and green Sriracha toque. It’s so hot, it’s cool.
12) Are ya a true Blue’noser? If yes, you’re going to want to show your pride with this full-length apron from Lost Cod clothing.
13) Killer Condiments are crafted from Canadian ingredients and packed by hand. Choose from sweet pepper relish, smoked tomato chutney, cranberry compote and other rich flavours.
14) Easily strip, collect and measure rosemary, thyme and tarragon by pulling the stems through the hole in this clever device. An integrated bowl catches and measures the herbs.