Farmers’ markets across Nova Scotia are celebrating the second annual Farmers’ Market Week (3-10 August) – the only event of its kind in Canada. The festivities highlight the wonderful fresh food, artisan products and local crafts available at more than 40 markets province-wide. Rustik Magazine has teamed up with Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia to profile some of the vendors and producers that make up Nova Scotia’s vibrant markets.
Harbourville, Nova Scotia
1) What is your local farmers’ market and what do you most love about it?
I sell at both Wolfville and Kentville markets and love the feeling of family, the commitment and the support for one another.
2) What three ingredients would you take to a desert island?
Potatoes, potatoes, and potatoes.
3) How did you get into your line of work? Any advice for someone just starting out?
I started out by accident. My advice: start humble and don’t get into it for money.
4) If you could be compensated for your work with something other than money, what would it be?
I barter for anything I need: e.g., carpentry, lawn mowing, plumbing.
5) What is your greatest food inspiration (i.e. person, place, meal)?
I can think of three: my mother, Oktoberfest in Munich, and currywurst.