Makes about 1 lb.
3 lb top round beef
1 cup brewed coffee
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup ketchup
½ cup apple cider vinegar
5 oz honey
½ cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp chili powder
3 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
- Cut the beef across the grain into thin strips, about ¼ inch thick. The strips should be about 8 inches long and 2 inches wide.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour the marinade into a sealable plastic bag, and add the meat. Marinate the meat, refrigerated, for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Transfer the beef to a wire rack set on a baking sheet. Pat the meat dry.
- Dry in the oven for 1 hour. Turn the jerky over, and continue to cook until completely dry, 1 to 1 ½ hours more.
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Reprinted with permission from the publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, from Preserving from The Culinary Institute of America. Photography by Ben Fink. Copyright 2013.